Monday, December 21, 2009

December 20, 2009 "Dangerous Love" - notes


Luke 1:39-56


A lady was leaving church one Sunday after worship and reached for the hand of her husband.
She felt a tap on her shoulder, turned to notice her husband behind her, saying, “That’s not my hand you’re holding.”
Then she looked at the man beside her who was smiling, and he said, “Lady, I’m a visitor today, and I’ve never been in a friendlier church.”

I think Mary needed someone to hold her hand …

Mary’s situation … frightened?
The morning after – “buyer’s remorse” …
She sets out with haste – to a safe haven?

Who doesn’t need Elizabeth now and then?
     My Aunt Lala – Sylvia … uncanny ability to make a 5-year old boy feel like a giant!
Who was your Elizabeth?

All along the way, God has given me Elizabeths …

Elizabeth is a picture of Christ.
No greater love than Christ.
A love that receives us today, just as we are!
“Come and follow me!”
A love that transforms us for tomorrow!
“Go, now, into all the world!”

The blessing of Elizabeth … the first beatitude in Luke … blessed are you, Mary …
The Hail Mary - not a football term …
I see God in you.
Like Buddhists bowing to one another – because they see divinity in the other … to see God in one another … what a gift.
Elizabeth’s gift takes Mary the frightened girl on a journey into the heart of God … and Mary comes out on the other side, ready for the task.

The courage to sing – the Magnificat – my soul magnifies the LORD.
To celebrate God’s goodness.
God’s work.
God’s faithfulness.

Mary returns home a courageous young mother.

Love will do that for us.
The kind of love that Elizabeth had.
You’re gonna be okay.
I see God in you.
Great things from you.

God does this for us … God is our Elizabeth.
And one day, we begin to sing:
My soul magnifies the LORD!

Amen and Amen! 

No comments: