Sunday, December 13, 2009

December 13, 2009 "Joy Gets Serious"

Luke 3:7-18


To remember who we are …
I am who God says I am.
I have what God says I have.
I can do what God says I can do.

A man in Scotland calls his son in London the day before Christmas Eve and says, "I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; forty-five years of misery is enough."
“Dad, what are you talking about?” the son screams.
"We can't stand the sight of each other any longer" the father says.
"We're sick of each other and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Leeds and tell her."

Frantically, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone.
"Oh no, they’re not!" she shouts, "I'll take care of
this!"

She calls Scotland immediately, and screams at her father;
"You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?" and hangs up.

The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. “All taken care of! They're coming home for Christmas - and they're paying their own way.”

“It’s a Wonderful Life” … Jimmy Stewart … George Bailey …
Two characters: George Bailey inherited his father’s tender and a savings and loan business … and Mr. Potter, “the richest, meanest man” in town.

The crisis … Christmas Eve, bank examiners find $8000 missing … George goes to Mr. Potter to ask for a loan … all George has for collateral - a $15,000 life insurance policy, $500 equity … Mr. Potter, “George, you’re worth more dead than alive.”
George Bailey crashes and burns … his life is worthless: I wish I were dead; I wish I had never been born … Clarence the angel … rescue … let’s pretend … that you had never lived …

In the end, we all know that George is “the richest man in town” … and he’s got a heart.

That’s what the gospel is all about … having a heart …
To love God … to love neighbor … to love one another … to do unto others …

John’s message directed to the heart … a 3-way test:
Am I generous?
Am I fair?
Do I use power well?

Impressed, they thought John might be the Christ …
But John only points the way.
Helps folks get ready.

Ready for Christ.

Amen and Amen

No comments: