Monday, September 23, 2024

9.22.24 "The Big Experiment" - Westminster Presbyterian Church, Pasadena, CA

 Psalm 1; James 3.13 - 4.3


The Bible is a big experiment … 


From Genesis to Revelation …


Can human beings live a good and decent life?


The Psalmist writes:


Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked … or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers …


The wicked, the sinner, the cynic … 


An unholy trinity … 


A threesome of misery and greed …


A trio of lost souls and sorrow …


Don’t go there, says the Psalmist … 


There are other pathways to follow …  


But, still, the question:


Can human beings live a good and decent life?


We are creatures full of contradictions … 

beset with fear and frustration … 

We can be cruel.

Selfish … miserable.


But within each of us, there is faith, hope, and love … 

decency, devotion, and wisdom …


we are generous and kind, wise and winsome … 

we are merciful and loving … 

we are profoundly intelligent … 

we are inventive and resourceful … 

we pay attention, and we help one another.


Can human beings live a good and decent life?


The strategy of faith is laid out … 


First off: Don’t succumb to the trinity of darkness: the wicked, the sinner, the scoffers … with their false clues, absurd conclusions.


Rather: Take your delight in the law of the LORD … and on God’s law meditate, day and night … 


Like a tree planted by a stream of water, in due time, fruit appears … leaves remain fresh and green …  


In times past, travelers would scan the horizon, in search of trees … pioneers pushing westward searched for cottonwood trees - where the cottonwoods grow, there’s water.


Find the water, not the dust …

Look at the good, not the bad …

Be aware of the bad, but keep your eyes on the good.

Find a mantra … a word, a thought … say it throughout the day, and when you can’t sleep … Jesus my LORD … all will be well … I am loved … God at work in all things for my good … 


We’re talented with meditation - with consummate skill, we meditate on our fears and frustrations … we lay in bed at night and imagine the darkest kinds of outcomes … years ago, I had a bit of a health issue, and before I found out it was nothing, I laid in bed and had myself sick, dead, and buried … I lost control of my mind.


We’re talented with meditation: we remember and replay a insult, a harsh word, a terrible moment … our mind rummages around the in the past, digging it up again and again … our mind conjures up futures that are likely never, ever, to occur.


We’re talented with mediation; easy with the negative … so we work to settle ourselves on God’s love … to be patient, to stay steady … to believe, again and again, in the promises of 

God: I will never leave you or forsake you.


Do this, says the Psalmist, and be happy!


Happy??? - in the deep places of the soul … not the passing happiness, or giddiness, of a new car, or a new job, but the happiness of knowing the heart of God … the soul within … not the opinion of others, nor the possession of things … there is nothing “out there” than can make us happy … it’s only within our selves … day-by-day.


God’s Law! says the Psalmist. The Law of life, the law of love, the law of freedom and goodness … 


The Ten Commandments …  


How do the Commandments begin? (trick question …)


The Ten Commandments begin with a Declaration of Deliverance:


I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery … 


Only then, is a commandment given: you shall have no other gods before me.


Or, as I put it: 


Don’t waste your time with other “gods” … 

don’t spend your spiritual capital on foolish ideas and silly pursuits … 


Center yourself in the One who liberates, 

the One who sets the people free … 


Spend yourself here, devote your soul,

build your life, on the Eternal God of Freedom, and make something of yourself.


This is how I read the Bible … seek the light, find the love … 


Others read the Bible differently … 


People read their Bibles and move into the land of hate … 


A copy of the Ten Commandments on the wall of a schoolroom is not the best way to honor God’s law. 


What does the Bible say?

Write it on the heart …


Psalm 40.8 - I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart


Jeremiah 31.33 - I will put my law within them, says God, and I will write it on their hearts …


Which commandment is the greatest? someone asks Jesus.


Jesus answers:


You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. 


And a second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 


The Apostle Paul writes:


Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.


If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.


I add my own translation:


I may preach the greatest sermons in the world, and know my Bible through and through, but if I do not have love, I am nothing.


I may have all the right answers, I may believe in Jesus with crystal clarity, but if I have trouble loving my neighbor, my belief system stinks.


I may build the most beautiful church in the world, with soaring steeple and great organ, but if I lack love, it means nothing.


I may accumulate wealth and power, and have the world at my command, but if I lack love, all of it is just so much dust and sorrow.


“What is love?”


Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.


I don’t know what love is like for you … 


I hardly know myself sometimes, but this I know:


It’s good to be here this morning, and touch the hem of God’s garment … like the woman in search of healing … 


It’s good to be here, with one another … to pray, weep for the sins of the world, ament our own sins … and sing the songs of Zion … 


It’s good to consider the birds of the air … the lilies of the field … all creatures, great and small … it’s good to take a deep breath and listen …


It’s good to look upward and beyond - search the far horizon for the cottonwood trees, the streams of living water …  


The LORD God Almighty … whispers to us in the darkest of times, and in the bright moments of joy - you are loved, you are loved, you are loved … all the time, and everywhere, morning, noon, and night … from the first breath of life, to the first breath of eternity, you are loved!


This - is the Law of God!


Mediate on this, day and night … 


Amen and Amen!

No comments: