Tuesday, November 7, 2023

11.5.23 "Worthy" - Westminster Presbyterian Church, Pasadena, CA

Joshua 3.7-17; 1 Thessalonians 2.9-13


On the Damascus Road, a flash of light, a voice … Saul falls to the ground … bewildered, confused … blinded by the light.


In that moment, Saul learns one of the greatest lessons of life - he had it all wrong.


It’s not the first time religious people have been wrong …


Some years back, I was involved in labor organizing, to help LAX hotel workers to unionize - for better wages, more benefits, job security, job safety.


We met with a hotel representative, along with several attorneys from management … the representative spoke of her faith in Christ, and made it clear that we had no right to be there, to disrupt the work of the hotel - that everything was good … and again, she made it clear, she was a Christian, she went to church, she believed … and made it abundantly clear that we needed to get outta there.


I said: “It’s not the first time people of faith have been on the wrong side of history.”


People of faith defended the enslavement of millions.

People of faith participated in the genocide of Indigenous Peoples.

People of faith stood with Hitler and Mussolini.

People of faith told little Ruby Bridges “You don’t belong here!”

People of faith told Rosa Parks, “Sit in the back of the bus!”

People of faith breathed a sign of relief when Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was murdered.


On the Damascus Road, Saul learned how to put things back together again, in new arrangement … all the materials were there - Saul’s intelligence, faith, energy, wisdom - but sometimes the room and its furniture need to be rearranged - a new configuration, a new alignment, some fresh paint and new curtains.


Over the years, I’ve learned, too … and you have, as well … the Christian journey is one of discovery and growth … God welcomes us as we are, and then begins to reshape us.


Let’s get back to Saul … now known as Paul.


Once again in Paul’s letter, he defends himself:


We didn’t put a burden on you … says Paul.


We are pure in our motives … upright and blameless in our conduct … like parents with a child, we loved you … we encouraged you to live a life worthy of God.


A life worthy of God … maybe you’re thinking right now, “What’s a life worthy of God? How can I get a handle on it?”


I remember Burt, my Sunday School teacher … I was 5 or six years old - our Sunday School class met in the church kitchen … there we were, among the pots and pans, cupboards and stoves … I asked a question, and the class laughed … I have no idea what the question was … and I don’t recall what Burt said to me, but the impression left upon me - I remember, to this very day … he didn’t laugh at my question … he treated me with care, my question, with dignity … a little moment in time for a little boy … but in that moment, Burt lived a life worthy of God.


I remember Mr. Goetzloff … his greenhouse behind his home … I can see it in my mind’s eye, and smell it - that rich, moist, smell of green … I remember walking along the sidewalk one day, I was likely no more than three … my mother was with me, and when I saw Mr. Goetzloff, I ran off to greet him, and I remember - hugging his leg … my mother said, “Be careful” … as a small boy’s enthusiasm might cause a tumble.


I think Mr. Goetzloff lived a life worthy of God - you can’t fool a child.


Over the years, teachers, professors, ministers; friends along the way - I’ve been fortunate … 


Were they perfect human beings?


I’m sure each of them, at the end of the day, had regret and sorrow, like we all do.


Not even the best baseball player gets a hit every time … the best bowlers roll a 300-game only a few times, if ever … the world’s finest musicians still miss a note … the best writers can publish a lousy novel.


We will not always be loving, wise, compassionate, or kind … we will not always be at our best … but the Holy Spirit continues to work within us … instilling virtue and vitality … nudging us along the way, and sometimes kicking us in the pants.


Years ago, the Ecumenical Institute, had a little ritual before we ate the evening Sunday supper: the host at the table would ask: “Were you faithful to the LORD this week?”


Only two answers were allowed: 

“Yes and No!” or “No and Yes!” 


No one is every totally faithful … and no one is ever totally faithless … though one or the other prevails for a time … oscillating backing and forth, jockeying for the lead in the race we’re all running.


We’re always saints and we’re always sinners throughout the week, sometimes a bit more saintly … and sometimes the other way around …  


Yet, I dare say, we manage to live a life worthy of God … just like Burt the Sunday School teacher, and Mr. Goetzloff, with his greenhouse …


Who was your Burt? … or your Mr. Goetzloff? 


All the good people we don’t even know … strangers - who simply do life, as best they can …  


The cashier who smiles at us … the neighbor who greets us … the co-worker who asks how we’re doing and actually takes the time to listen. 


Millions and millions of people - all around the world.


It’s does us good to remember them, to give thanks for them … learn from them … pattern our lives after them …  


In a world where the bad things make it into the headlines - because bad news sells, it does us well to remember how many good and decent people there are … all in their own way, all around the world, living lives worthy of God.


They reach for the heavens …

pursue justice …

speak the truth …


They practice forgiveness …

look on the bright side of things …

walk on the sunny side of the street …


They support science and learning …

they read books rather than ban and burn them …

they weep with those who weep; and rejoice with those who rejoice …

they pay attention … they share, care, and dare … they live life large.


And woven into all of it:

God at work, in all things for good - 

what we leave undone will be finished … 

what needs to be undone will be rearranged and repaired … 

what good we’ve done will be blessed and multiplied many times over.

Time and eternity in partnership … to bring about the good day of God’s delight.

We go to bed at night … with two prayers: 


LORD, thank you for all the good I did today … give me the eyes to see that good … the mind to know it - to know I’m moving right along, and your hand, dear God, is upon me.


And then a second prayer:


LORD, have mercy for what I’ve failed to do well, or didn’t do at all, and all the times I didn’t care, and did lousy with friend and family …  forgive me … and all will be well.


A life - worthy of God …  


Amen and Amen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again: Right On! Thank you Tom.