Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 8, 2011 - "Traffic Merging"

Luke 24:13-35

To each of you, the grace of our LORD Jesus Christ.

And a happy Mother’s Day.

Speaking of mothers, my mother taught me a lot:

She taught me LOGIC: "If everyone else jumped off a cliff would you do it, too?"
She taught me MEDICINE: "If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they're going to freeze that way."

My Mother taught me TO THINK AHEAD: "If you don't pass your spelling test, you'll never get a good job!"
And she taught me HUMOR: "When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

My Mother taught me how to BECOME AN ADULT: "If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."
She taught me about GENETICS: "You are just like your father!"
My mother taught me about my ROOTS: "Do you think you were born in a barn?"

My mother taught me about the WISDOM OF AGE: "When you get to be my age, you will understand.”
My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION: "Just wait until your father gets home."

My mother taught me about RECEIVING: "You are going to get it when I get you home."
She taught me RELIGION: "You better pray that stain will come out of the carpet."

My mother taught me FORESIGHT: "Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."
My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM: "Will you look at the dirt on the back of your neck!"
My mother taught me about STAMINA: "You'll sit there until all that spinach is finished."

My mother taught me about WEATHER: "It looks as if a tornado swept through your room."
My mother taught me THE CIRCLE OF LIFE: "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."
She taught me BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION: "Stop acting like your father!"

My mother taught me about ENVY: "There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do!"
And the all-time favorite thing my mother taught me, JUSTICE: "One day you will have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you. Then you'll see what it's like! I can't wait!"

It’s not easy being a parent … and I guess it’s not so easy being a child either.

Life isn’t easy.
There is no easy street in any town anywhere.
There’s just life.
And love.
And hope.
And courage.
And faith.

And things that come our way, unexpectedly.
Sad things.
Bad things.
Hurtful and harmful things.

It’s all a big jumble, isn’t it?
The sun sets and the night is long.
The sun rises and we breathe a sigh of relief.

The worst didn’t happen.
Or maybe it did.
Things took a turn south.
Or things are looking up.

Life is journey.
Through thick and thin.
Sick and sin.

Dark and difficult valleys.
And glorious mountains to climb.

Like Julie Andrews sang in “Sound of Music” –
Climb ev'ry mountain
Search high and low
Follow ev'ry by-way
Every path you know
Climb ev'ry mountain
Ford ev'ry stream
Follow ev'ry rainbow
'Till you find your dream

On the road to Emmaus that day, there wasn’t much left.
Cleopas and his companion were on their way home.
They were done with it.
Hopes and dreams died on a hill called Golgatha.
Hopes and dreams lay buried now, in a hillside tomb.

As they head home, a Stranger joins them on the road.
What are you talking about? The Stranger asks.
They stop dead in their tracks.
Are you the only one in these parts who doesn’t have clue what’s going on?
Jesus of Nazareth is dead.
They killed him.
Religious people killed him.
With all of their prayers and ritual and fine garb and lovely sermons and hymns and sacrifices and beautiful buildings.
They joined hands with the government.
Police arrested him.
Pilate tried him – what a joke that was.
And they killed him.

Oh sure, there was a report earlier today that the body was gone … some women claim to have had a vision … an angel told them Jesus was alive.

Some of our friends checked it out … sure, the tomb was empty, but no Jesus.
No Jesus anywhere.

That’s why we’re going home.
We gave it our best.
We thought we had something.
But it’s over now.
We’re gonna pick up the pieces as best we can.
There’s lots to do, and we’ll just get busy.
We’re heading home!

The Stranger walks with them along the way.
How many times has Jesus been on the road with us, and we didn’t know it?
How many times has the Son of God joined up with us, and we didn’t recognize him.

I like that.
Jesus doesn’t barge in on them.
And Jesus doesn’t barge in on us, either.

The other day, at one of our busy intersections, “Christian” folks on all four corners - placards of one sort of the other, promising hell to everyone who doesn’t receive Jesus as LORD and Savior.
Shouting and preaching as cars drive by.
I thought to myself, “This is no way to lift up the precious name of Jesus.”

You’ve seen the billboards – “Judgment Day Is Coming” – May 21 … you bet … get ready for heaven, all you God-fearing people – whoopee … and get ready for hell all you bad people.

And I think to myself, “This is no way to lift up the precious name of Jesus.”

Folks quote the Bible like a gunfighter draws his 45s.
“Bang, bang, you’re dead. I shot ya’ with a few Bible verses.”
Too many TV preachers full of themselves instead of the Holy Spirit.
More interested in our money than our soul.
Christianity with a chip on its shoulder … and a snarl on its face.

If Christians in America hope to be relevant and meaningful, we need to learn a new lesson about humility.
What it means to be the salt of the earth – just a pinch is all that’s needed.
Too much salt, and the food is ruined.
Christianity serves the LORD best of all when it’s thoughtful in its ways, and measured out properly.

Jesus shows up gently with Cleopas and his companion.
They don’t even recognize him.
Because he keeps their closed.
The time isn’t right.
Not now.
We need some time.
They need to talk.
Jesus listens.
And when he begins to teach, he teaches them patiently.

Even as he chides them.
Chides them with love.
There’s kindness in his voice.
There’s mercy.
There’s hope.
That’s why their hearts are burning.
Not with fear and guilt and anxiety.
But with love.
Their hearts are burning with love … they don’t know it yet … it’s takes time … and when the time is right, Jesus will open their eyes!

I wish overly aggressive Christians could learn that – they try to pry open closed eyes – they use guilt and fear and threaten folks with hellfire and brimstone – like trying to open a can of peas with a jackknife … but you know, only Jesus can open eyes.
And it’s always done at the right time.
In the right way.
God’s way!
Gentle and kind!
For God knows we’re dust.[1]

Jesus talks with them.
Walks with them.
And always teaches them.

Don’t you know your Bible?
Of course we know our Bible.
We’re born and reared in it.
We’re on the Synagogue cradle roll.
We’ve been members of the Emmaus Synagogue for 30 years.
We’re old hands at this business.
You bet we know our Bible.

But it’s easy for religious folk to miss the point.
The Synagogue doesn’t always get it right.
And churches don’t always get it right, either.


Jesus teaches them:
Don’t you know this is how God is working things out?
Not through conquest, but consolation.
Not with armies, but with wisdom.
With justice, which is always kindness.
With righteousness, which is always mercy.[2]

Moses talked about it.
The prophets talked about it.
It’s all there.
Read it for yourselves.

How foolish you are to think you know so much.
How slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have said …

As they come to their home in Emmaus, Jesus bids them farewell.
But it’s evening.
Middle Eastern hospitality won’t let a stranger hit the road at night.
Cleopas and his companion invite the Stranger in for dinner.

At table, something usual happens.
Jesus preempts the host.
Jesus takes the bread, gives thanks, breaks the bread and begins to give it to them.
In that moment, the table is no longer their own.
It’s the LORD's Table.
The home is no longer their home.
It’s the House of God.

Their eyes are opened, like the blind man beside the road … and they recognize him … and then he’s gone from their sight.
Just like that.
A moment of recognition.

Ever have that?
When it seems you understand everything?
For a startling few moments, you have it.
It’s yours.
And then, it’s gone.
Just like that.
But you had it for a moment.
It gives you courage.
To keep on keepin’ on.
To stay the course.
To not give up.
To remain faithful.
To roll up your sleeves and get back to work.

Cleopas and his companion turn to each other in surprise:
Were not our hearts burning within us as he talked with us and opened the Scriptures to us?

Back to Jerusalem they go.
I can imagine their furious pace.
No time to settle down and kick back.
No time for bed.
Nighttime or not, it’s time to go back to Jerusalem.
We have seen him!

Hope, dear friends, is never lost.
Faith remains.
Love wins.

Christ is Risen … he is Risen, indeed!

Amen and Amen!



[1] Psalm 103.14
[2] Pslam 116.5.

No comments: